|Date Posted||September 6, 2021|
Requisition Id 4550
The Computational Urban Sciences Group in the Computational Sciences and Engineering Division (CSED) at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) seeks to hire a senior researcher to lead scientific data-analysis and develop insights from the application of Artificial Intelligence approaches for cloud-based high volume and high velocity real-time systems. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated leading projects involving data sources from sensors and simulation models from domains such as the electric grid, transportation, integration of renewables, as well as buildings.
The Computational Urban Sciences Group is comprised of a multi-disciplinary team of scientists carrying out applied research at the intersection of computing and complex urban systems in the emerging environment of smart cities, energy infrastructures, a modernizing electric grid, smarter and sustainable mobility, responsive buildings, changing impacts of severe weather and climate, and data driven emergency response and resiliency. The advances are enabled by the growing body of technologies that includes big-data, modeling and simulation, machine learning, visualization, graph analytics, geovisualization, high-performance computing, and cloud computing. The candidate must be comfortable working as part of a tightly integrated team and must be capable of supporting multiple projects simultaneously.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead, develop, optimize, and transition algorithm prototypes to robust implementations.
- Maintain and enhance a strong knowledge profile of real-time data techniques, Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning and related emerging technologies.
- Demonstrate the impact of new scientific discoveries.
- Develop new concepts and proposals and lead programmatic engagement.
- Adapt to changing needs of researchers and project sponsors.
- Lead and maintain a strong publication record.
- PhD in computer science, computer or computational engineering, geography, mathematics, or related disciplines and 6 years of experience.
- Candidates must have demonstrated ability of having led and built compelling real-time data analysis applications that have used Artificial Intelligence approaches to derive novel insight.
- Maintain and enhance a strong knowledge profile of scalable Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning techniques.
- Research experience in real-time earth/urban system awareness, simulation, and forecast; geospatial studies at national/global scale and high resolution; time-series analysis; uncertainty quantification.
- Experience in developing GPU based Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning solutions including the use of AI/ML libraries (TensorFlow, CUDA, PyTorch, etc.).
- Experience in scalable databases and data programming models (e.g., Cassandra, MongoDB, Spark, Hadoop); engineering experience in database design.
- Experience developing and automating cloud-based solutions (e.g. AWS), CI/CD workflows).
- Experience in high-performance computing, parallel programming models (e.g., MPI, OpenMP, GPU), and middleware (e.g., job schedulers, data transfer tools, parallel IO).
- Knowledge of streaming sensor data as well as working with data from simulation, co-simulation, and modeling tools.
- Knowledge and experience of Agile processes.
- Experience with Big Data technologies such as the Apache stack, Spark, MapReduce, NoSQL databases and graph database is desirable.
- Experience in statistics, data visualization, geographic information systems, big-data mining, streaming data platforms, and simulation and modeling is desirable.
- Strong social and communication skills and experience in working with multidisciplinary teams.
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville