|Published||November 1, 2022|
|Location||Oak Ridge, TN|
Requisition Id 9262
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is seeking a Director of Artificial Intelligence Programs to lead laboratory research, development and application of AI and machine learning (AI/ML) to solve problems of national importance. Oak Ridge National Laboratory is a U.S. Department of Energy laboratory located near Knoxville, Tennessee with a broad mission in science and engineering. ORNL delivers world-class scientific facilities, including DOE’s Leadership Class Computing Facility and the Spallation Neutron Source. The AI Program Director will lead efforts to deliver a foundational AI/ML capability supporting ORNL’s broad mission and deliver world-class solutions in computer and computational science, neutron science, materials science, biology and health science, nuclear engineering, isotopes, manufacturing, energy, and climate science. This position will report directly to the Associate Laboratory Director for Computing and Computational Sciences.
- Lead ORNL’s Artificial Intelligence Initiative, which is funded through the Laboratory’s Directed Research and Development Program
- Engage with laboratory senior leadership to develop strategic objectives and priorities for AI/ML research.
- Serve as the lab point of contact and SME for AI to include but not limited to;
- Serving as the first contact to build collaborations
- Serving as subject matter expert for speaking engagements
- Serving as an AI SME to DOE and other organizations
- Lead a capture team for any large AI program opportunities (e.g centers)
- Act in both a managerial and technical capacity in providing project leadership.
- Engage with human resources and other laboratory leaders to hire and retain a world-class diverse AI/ML workforce.
- Work with scientists and engineers across ORNL and other DOE laboratories to demonstrate advancements in AI in science and engineering applications.
- Work with colleagues at DOE and other DOE laboratories to develop a national strategy and research program to deliver an AI capability for science.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or related STEM discipline.
- 12+ years of relevant research experience outside of Ph.D.
- Established track record of research in artificial intelligence or machine learning
- Demonstrated success in program development.
- Experience in leadership and management, including both staff and program leadership.
- Extensive experience in developing, planning, organizing, leading and managing activities of a major organizational unit within a major R&D facility, including a working knowledge of policies and guidelines that relate to administration and management of complex R&D organizations.
- Ability to develop a long-term vision for AI at ORNL and strategic plan in alignment with DOE priorities.
- Prior experience in a variety of scientific and engineering domains.
- Extensive experience managing large projects with multi-million-dollar budgets.
- Excellent communication skills and technical expertise at the highest levels of scientific enterprise.
- Working knowledge of DOE organization and programs and the ability to work within that structure.
- Demonstrated ability to work in collaborative, interdisciplinary teams and to lead by influence
- Interest and ability to work with colleagues in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines.
- Prior knowledge or experience of the structure and culture at ORNL.
ORNL Ethics and Conduct:
As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director's office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
Benefits at ORNL:
ORNL offers competitive pay and benefits programs to attract and retain talented people. The laboratory offers many employee benefits, including medical and retirement plans and flexible work hours, to help you and your family live happy and healthy. Employee amenities such as on-site fitness, banking, and cafeteria facilities are also provided for convenience.
Other benefits include: Prescription Drug Plan, Dental Plan, Vision Plan, 401(k) Retirement Plan, Contributory Pension Plan, Life Insurance, Disability Benefits, Generous Vacation and Holidays, Parental Leave, Legal Insurance with Identity Theft Protection, Employee Assistance Plan, Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts, Wellness Programs, Educational Assistance, Relocation Assistance, and Employee Discounts.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville