|Date Posted||September 28, 2021|
Requisition Id 4418
The Energy Systems Analytics (ESA) group at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) conducts applied machine learning and decision science research and development for energy applications, with a focus on advanced manufacturing technologies. The group consists of staff members with backgrounds in electrical engineering, computer science, mechanical engineering, and optical engineering, and frequently collaborates with partners in industry, academia, and other government organizations.
To support ORNL strategic R&D activities in advanced manufacturing, the ESA group is currently accepting applications for a senior research staff member position with expertise in computer vision, machine learning and data analytics. In this role, you will initiate, lead, and perform independent R&D efforts focusing primarily on advanced manufacturing technologies. You will provide technical oversight of a small team of scientists and engineers, and you will be actively engaged in the development of software and hardware techniques to explore three areas of interest: (1) real time quality control of manufacturing processes; (2) understanding of the correlation between manufacturing intent, machine behavior, and part quality; and (3) optimization of manufacturing processes targeting higher throughput and part quality.
You will work at the Manufacturing Demonstration Facility (MDF - web.ornl.gov/sci/manufacturing/mdf/) to advance manufacturing technologies, and to facilitate and accelerate their deployment to industry. The MDF relies on a diverse group of experts (material research, systems research, data science, robotics development) and on a cohort of state-of-the-art 3D printers and machining systems to produce complex parts with a wide range of materials and sizes.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead research projects and teams to meet milestones and deliverables
- Development of advanced analytics solutions for detection and measurement systems
- Development of software and algorithms to collect and analyze data
- Development of imaging/sensing systems to collect data
- Publish research in peer reviewed journals
- Develop new ideas and proposals to support the research team
- Protect intellectual property using patents and copyright licensing
- Promote the growth of the team by recruiting talents
- Mentoring young staff, postdocs, and students
- Participate in frequent ORNL/sponsors meetings
- Ph.D. with a minimum of 6 years relevant experience, a M.S. with a minimum of 12 years relevant experiences or a B.S. with 15 years relevant experience in electrical engineering, computer engineering, mechanical engineering, or closely related field
- Experience in designing and building algorithms for 2D and 3D image understanding, using
- Demonstrated experience in leading R&D teams
- Demonstrated experience conceiving and executing research and development projects
- Substantial programming skills such as Python and/or C/C++
- Substantial experience in the implementation of learning algorithms
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license.
*Visa sponsorship is not available for this position*
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville