|Location||Foster City, CA|
|Date Posted||July 10, 2021|
The next generation of drug discovery is at the convergence of human genetics and artificial intelligence.
The cost to sequence a human genome is rapidly decreasing and will approach $100 in the coming years. This is driving the creation of multiomic data sets, population sequencing of multi-million human cohorts, gene expression profiles of millions of cells from a single sample, experiments to characterize the functional consequences of all possible variants in a gene, surveys of the complete human immune repertoire… and this is just the beginning.
To derive value and insights from these unprecedented data sets, genomics has become an information science where the application of artificial intelligence is enabling breakthroughs in our understanding of disease mechanisms. These insights are now being translated into candidate drug targets.
Towards this end, Company is pioneering the application of artificial intelligence to large combined clinical-multiomic data sets. We are now surpassing the performance of earlier heuristic or biologically modeled approaches. For example, PrimateAI and SpliceAI predict variant pathogenicity and splice site function with higher accuracy than previous approaches, and even larger improvements are currently in development to predict the effects of both coding and noncoding variation across diverse biological functions. These new tools will support Company’s development of automated AI-based genome interpretation and a technology platform for identifying potential drug targets.
We are looking for an extraordinary leader to drive our initiative to create improved platforms for drug discovery. This executive will be responsible for all aspects of the newly formed business area within the Research and Technology Development organization, reporting to the Chief Technology Officer. The organization will oversee Company’s target discovery platform development, leveraging the platform to deliver technology and potential drug targets into pharma partners’ drug development pipelines. The candidate will be responsible for architecting and scaling the organizational structure, recruiting top minds across product strategy, data science & machine learning, computational biology, and
therapeutic areas. This leader will collaborate with Product Development and our Business Units to envision and create a new business based on innovations across genomics technology, machine learning, high-throughput biology, and
• Envision, develop, and execute long-term strategic direction of Company’s data science, artificial Intelligence, and genomics capabilities applied to drug discovery
• Formulate long-range operating plans, budgets, and programs to support company objectives
• Drive external partnerships and collaborations to achieve development and business goals
• Monitor and evaluate completion of large scale and strategic projects, resolving critical path issues and escalating if needed
• Build and develop team to ensure strong execution, successors, and talent to fuel future growth
• Coach core team leaders and sponsors, establishing and coordinating responsibilities and procedures among collaborating departments to ultimately drive the development and launch of successful products and services
• PhD or equivalent number of years of experience in mathematics, computer science, engineering, computational sciences, or related quantitative discipline
• 15+ years of experience in scientific research and development (or equivalent combination of academic and industrial science)
• 10+ years of experience in leadership role managing and mentoring senior level PhD scientists and engineers of various disciplines while managing research and product development projects
• Successful track record applying data science approaches to drug discovery
• Deep expertise with modern data science approaches, including unsupervised and supervised classification and regression algorithms, artificial intelligence (neural networks and deep learning)
• Experience applying advanced statistical analyses to complex genomics data sets in applied scientific application domains including drug target identification
• Experience leading the technical aspects of B2B partnerships
• Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional teams and get results through others
• Strong problem solving and analytical abilities at a strategic and functional level
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and presentation skills