|Date Posted||May 6, 2020|
The newly created role of Director, Data Science & Artificial Intelligence reports to and supports the VP Strategy and Innovation in driving Leica Biosystems’ Global AI and connectivity strategies.
Given that the role of AI in Anatomical Pathology expected to increase over the coming years, Leica Biosystems is looking to recruit a thought leader in data science and AI. The expectation is that the associate can go deep technically on which AI methodologies are best suited to specific business and customer problems, as well as elevate their thinking to consider business and strategic implications.
Leica Biosystems is a global leader in pathology workflow and imaging. Therefore, it is critical that Leica continues enhancing its organizational capability by adding associates with skills in data science and AI that can make an impact in the world of cancer diagnostics. The expectation is that the associate will guide the selection of the right solutions as well as defining the right architectural solutions, data structures, and analytics to support AI integrations, whether in-house or with 3rd Parties.
An additional aspect of the new role is to aid in defining the structure and approach to the collection and use of IoT data from remote service connectivity, as this repository of data grows with service connectivity increasing.
The candidate is expected to work closely with business associates across the organization in Product Management, R&D, systems engineers and others associates as required, that are allocated to support IT and workflow connectivity. Additionally, the candidate is expected to work closely with members of the Strategy and Innovation (S&I) team to support the strategy and Open Innovation with 3rd parties where applicable.
Currently the role has no direct roles, but as Leica Biosystems builds out its data science and AI strategy, the candidate may be required to build out a team.
Major Responsibilities / Job Description
Assessment of Data Science / AI methodologies to solve customer problems:
- As mentioned in the position summary, a critical component of this new role relates to the identification and /or evaluation of third-party AI solutions, technologies and approaches that can potentially be applied to solve valuable use cases.
- As part of this work the associate is expected to consult with S&I team members being the Director, Strategic Development, Director IT Strategy & Architecture and Program Innovation Manager, Imaging, as well as BU Product Management.
AI/Machine learning architect:
- Additionally, as part of the role, the candidate is expected to take the next step and bring machine learning expertise to solution help guide architecture development, advising on patterns and approaches consistent with industry best practices.
- This includes using data decision science to drive decisions from descriptive analytics that help inform strategic decisions with solid analysis of the available data.
Data infrastructure and pipeline expert:
- Building off the prior responsibilities, during partnering discussions and/or execution, the candidate is expected to lead data architecture discussions with partners and customers.
- As part of this the candidate is expected to become one of the Leica Biosystems subject matter experts on data ingestion, availability, operations, access and how these support the overall platform workflow.
- It will also be important to provide input into the IT and solution architecture component of product roadmaps with BU Product Management and R&D teams.
Data quality and data governance:
- Another critical component of the role is to provide oversight of selection and definition of tools, processes, guidelines to ensure data is correct, gated and monitored, documented, standardized. This includes tools for data lineage and data security.
Data analytics engineering:
- The candidate will also establish guidance and standard work enabling other engineers and data scientists focused on software and analytics solutions to scale via analytics applications for internal use, e.g. analytics software libraries, productizing workflows, and analytic microservices.
Required Education and Experience:
- A minimum of a BS or Master’s Degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Theoretical/Computational Physics, related field is required.
- A minimum of five (5+) years of experience manipulating large datasets and using databases (e.g. SAS, R, SQL, S-Plus, etc.)
- A minimum of 3 years as a lead in a data science role or in a medical device/healthcare role.
- Proven experience with Machine Learning techniques, especially on large scale datasets including imaging data.
- Strong communication skills and proven experience as an influencer with technical teams, making presentations to a variety of technical and business team members.
- Hands-on programming experience with one or more of the following: .Net, Python, R, or related languages.
- Experience in Agile development methodologies.
- This position is based in Vista, CA and will require travel of up to 25% locally and internationally.
- Hands-on experience using Machine Learning frameworks such as Tensorflow or Pytorch.
- Experience with data visualization creating reports or dashboards in Tableau/PowerBI or similar frameworks
- Familiarity with cloud deployment and scaling of compute resources for data applications and algorithms using services such as Azure or AWS.
- Experience working across different business function is also looked on favorably.
- Publications and/or patents are highly desirable as demonstrated track record of data science leadership.
- Independent, analytical thinker: Able to set up and run projects within a dynamic organization and integrate data analysis and AI into the decision-making process. Using data to provide clarity to which opportunities are valuable with a mix of technical and commercial skill.
- Understands complex problems: Ability to quickly understand patterns within large quantity of data and to reference key characteristics using visualization techniques.
- Able to deal with variable maturity of data structures: Adept at working across engineering and computer scientists to guide improved structure that is ready for consumption. Also, pragmatic to derive value from data that is not yet fully mature. Establish sustainable standard work for ensuring the continued maturity of data structures as designs evolve.
- Team player: Collaborative with maintained focus on key initiatives, while working across a complex cross-functional or cross-country organization.
- Industry knowledge: Solid understanding of medical devices and the diagnostics industry. Knowledge of industry organizations & standards committees is a plus.
- English fluency required with good communication and written skills.
- Fluency in additional languages (German, Spanish, Mandarin) a major plus.
Approximate Direct Reports: 0
Approximate Indirect Reports: 0
- BU Marketing Directors, Product Managers, and BU Leaders
- Danaher Business Development
- Clinical Affairs
- Legal / IP
- Cross functional R&D team leaders.
- Business analysts
- Project managers
- Partner technology leaders
- Industry organizations & standards committees
Danaher Corporation and all Danaher Companies are equal opportunity employers that evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by law. The “EEO is the Law” poster is available here.