|Date Posted||February 13, 2020|
JOB TITLE: DATA SCIENTIST
FSLA Status: Exempt
Approved: January 2020
A. To improve operating and organizational efficiencies with insights gained from analyzing company and external data.
B. To build data products to extract valuable business insights. To be responsible for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes.
C. To be responsible for building, deploying, and maintaining data support tools, metadata inventories, and definitions for database file/table creation.
D. Strategize with CIO/VP of Technology on best use cases for artificial intelligence and work with other business units to gather data and business process knowledge required to successfully manage the implementation of AI projects across the enterprise.
RELATIONSHIPS & CONTACTS
Establishes and maintains the following relationships for the purpose of coordination and communications.
Reports to: CIO/VP of Technology
A. Internal/External Contacts:
1. CIO/VP of Technology: To take assignment from and to inform on any matter pertaining to data sources and analytics; to seek advice, assistance and information as necessary or required, to work with on developing new and improved procedures and methods and supporting these services including Artificial Intelligence opportunities.
2. Delaware Electric Cooperative Employees: To determine requirements of new data sets and devise, develop, and deploy required data queries in response to user needs. Present newfound data opportunities.
3. Technology Manager & Cybersecurity Engineer: To coordinate all network-based software projects and security required for new processes that are network based. Assist in identifying critical processes and backup and restore procedures required.
4. Vendors: To seek their advice and assistance as required concerning operation, maintenance and programming of software and equipment. To inform about the Cooperative’s information technology needs and to keep informed about new software applications.
5. Professional Societies and other Cooperatives: To maintain representation and create opportunities for mutual service and benefits and keep informed of industry economic and technical trends, policies and new developments.
RESPONSIBILITIES & AUTHORITIES
Within the limits of established policies, budgets and legal requirements, assumes responsibility and has commensurate authority as delegated by the CIO/VP of Technology for the performance of the following activities:
1. Identify valuable data sources and automate collection processes.
2. Undertake preprocessing of structured and unstructured data.
3. Analyze large amounts of information to discover trends and patterns.
4. Use predictive modeling to increase and optimize member experiences and other business outcomes.
5. Present information using data visualization techniques.
6. Work with CIO/VP of Technology to develop AI strategy and manage AI projects across the enterprise.
7. Propose solutions and strategies to business challenges.
8. Devise, develop, and deploy required data queries in response to business user needs.
9. Provide and apply quality assurance best practices for data mining/analysis services across the organization.
10. Conduct research and make recommendations on data mining products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
11. Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy.
12. Determine required network components to ensure data access, as well as data consistency and integrity.
13. Coordinate with different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes.
14. Mine and analyze data from company databases to drive optimization and improvement of business processes and strategies.
15. Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
16. Develop custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets.
17. Publish and maintain Business Intelligence portal with dynamic key performance indicators.
18. Develop Data Warehouse utilizing multiple data sets across multiple platforms
19. Perform other duties as may be assigned by the CIO/VP of Technology.
QUALIFICATION & REQUIREMENTS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Some travel may be required including attendance at technical seminars, conferences and professional meetings.
2. Overtime hours may be required to meet project deadlines including on-call after-hours availability.
3. Sitting for extended periods of time.
4. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components.
5. Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers, devices, and peripherals.
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering or relevant technical field.
2. Experience in data mining; working with and creating data architectures; using statistical computer languages to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets. Must have direct experience with data management techniques with strong technical document skills. Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
3. Must have knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws, strong math skills (statistics, algebra); strong analytical mind and business acumen; Strong problem-solving skills with an emphasis on process improvement. Must have excellent communication and presentation skills.
4. Experience with Python, R, Java, TensorFlow, Julia, Scala, Power BI, SQL, Oracle and JSON is prefered.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES
The ability to analyze data, to notice discrepancies and to take corrective measures to assure accuracy. The aptitude for troubleshooting in a computer-oriented area. Must be able to make decisions promptly in situations involving stress. Must be able to read and understand technical and instructional manuals. Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision. Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment. Strong interpersonal skills, oral communication skills, and proven analytical and problem-solving abilities. Strong understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives. Strong customer service orientation. Must be able to make judgment decisions to plan logical sequence of steps, prepare flow charts, and develop programs for current needs which will be compatible with computer system growth and change. Skill in motivating people is necessary.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES & REGISTRATION
Must posses a current a current, valid driver’s license recognized by the State of Delaware.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is often required to stand, walk, stoop and kneel.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Usual conditions in an air-conditioned office.
Exempt Status: The position is exempt from the overtime requirements of the Fair Labor Standards Act, as amended. This position requires availability for emergencies, peak work loads, attendance at meetings, etc., at all times, without additional compensation.
Salary will be in accordance with the "Wage and Salary Plan of Delaware Electric Cooperative”.