|Location||Mountain View, CA|
|Date Posted||March 12, 2021|
Alion Science and Technology is seeking a Commercial Engagement Manager to support the Commercial Engagement Executive in assessing prospective customer needs, understanding the market landscapes for applicable technology components, sourcing companies/technologies to deliver the necessary solution(s) and evaluating commercial viability. The role requires working level knowledge of the Artificial intelligence space, along with an understanding of the intricacies in building and deploying complex hardware / software solutions. This individual will be entrusted with developing a critical ecosystem of commercial partners for transformative DoD programs. This role is key to maintaining the United States’ national security posture and delivering critical capabilities directly to warfighters.
The Commercial Engagement Executive role reports to the Commercial Engagement Executive for AI/ ML, and is a part of the Commercial Engagement Team (CET). The CET is tasked with delivering a compelling procurement experience to partner companies and with establishing, furthering, and managing DIU's relationships with the private sector. The CET is composed of multiple executives who are responsible for commercial strategy (including delivering the right experiential product for acquisitions), outreach (business development and marketing), general relationship management, and market intelligence. The executive in this role will work closely with the Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning Portfolio Director & Members. This position is based in Mountain View, CA with expected travel of 10%.
Responsibilities for the role:
- Advising the Artificial Intelligence Commercial Engagement Executive & broader AI Portfolio on any and all commercial considerations/topics
- Supporting Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning Portfolio throughout government solicitation processes, to include:
- Providing ongoing insights into emerging technologies
- Productizing problem sets
- Providing broad market snapshots
- Identifying and establishing relationships with relevant vendors
- Leading company viability analyses
- Ensuring proper ongoing communication with vendor universe and, in certain cases VC partners
- Delivering a consistent, on-brand DIU procurement experience to private sector partners, including VCs and partner companies – candidate must be comfortable interacting at the senior executive level
- Developing subject matter knowledge of key industry focus areas
- Participating in industry conferences, forums, and other events
- Integrating into ongoing (CET) business development and marketing activities seamlessly
- Maintaining market vigilance to be able to identify relevant technologies
- Cultivating broad company level relationships across Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning vectors
- Fostering deep personal relationships with executives across the ecosystem
- Representing the DIU brand with appropriate gravitas and poise in all situations
- Impeccable character and enduring integrity
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, adapt quickly to changing demands and work with emerging technologies, methodologies and solutions
- Demonstrated independent critical problem solving skills
- Experience working in the technology sector, specifically with Artificial Intelligence
- Interest in both advancing national security and personal growth
- A minimum of 2-7+ years of experience within tech environments
- History of having confronted significant hurdles and excelled at them
- Demonstrated ability to shape ambiguous environments into successful outcomes
- Thorough understanding of startup company culture and operations
- Private sector experience is a must
- Experience in commercial sales, business development, operations, or product a plus
- Prior military, IC, or government experience advisable
- Start-up experience highly desirable
- Executive experience a plus
- VC ecosystem experience a plus
Education and Experience
- 18 years of progressive experience in high level technical and organizational support services.
- 3 years of relevant work experience in a ¿nancial analyst or management consulting associate role.
- Pro¿cient computer skills: Excel, Google Suite, Salesforce CRM, Adept, or equivalents.
- Eligible to achieve Top Secret (TS) clearance - US Citizenship required.
- Master’s degree in Business, Engineering, or equivalent. Substitution for a master’s degree will be a bachelor’s degree in in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Materials Science plus 2 years of relevant experience in addition to the required minimum years of experience.
- Product development experience as an engineer in a technology startup
- Military experience
- Active TS/SCI clearance
- Experience working with Federal/DoD agencies and Congressional sta¿
Security Clearance: Secret